15-17 years old in NYC and interested in gaining critical skills and knowledge related to sexual and reproductive health? Want to get paid to grow your public speaking skills and educate your community? Apply to be a SPEEK Peer Educator at the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center today! Applications due July 7.
SPEEK (Sinai Peers Encouraging Empowerment Through Knowledge) is a peer education program that includes evidence-based health education workshops and services for local middle schools, high schools and community based organizations. We are looking for a bright, passionate, diverse, motivated, responsible group of young people that are interested in sharing and learning information about sexual and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, STIs, pregnancy, birth control, healthy relationships, gender and sexuality and more.
This year’s SPEEK program will be virtual.
Schedule and Pay
Tentative Summer: Tuesday- Thursday, 10am – 4pm, Friday 10am-1pm. 18 hours a week from July 20th- August 28th, 2020.
School Year: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursdays for 6 hours a week.
Stipend: $ 12 / hour
You must be a high school sophomore or junior between the ages of 15-17 to be eligible for the position. If candidates have summer school during the work hours, they are not eligible. Download the application, which has additional program details.
- All applicants must have working papers and parental/guardian consent to work
- All applications must be received no later than: July 7th , 2020
- All applications will be reviewed and those selected will be contacted to undergo an interview which will begin by: June 15th, 2020
- If you were not selected for an interview, then you are not in consideration for the program at this time. We encourage you to apply again next year.
- If selected to be a peer educator, you will be notified directly by staff via email.
- If selected to be a peer educator, you will need to complete the following steps for clearance through our volunteer department:
- Background check
- Drug Screening
- HIPAA & Sexual harassment training
- 2 PPD tests*
*The PPD & Physicals can be done at your personal doctor’s office or at the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center.
- Click here to download the application and learn more!
- Please submit your completed application to: Kymberly.Gonzalez@mountsinai.org and CC Ragavan.Sivanesathurai@mountsinai.org in the email.
- All applications must be received by July 7.