No Judgment. No Charge.
LGBQ and Transgender Services
LGBQ Health Services
Our health providers, counselors, and support staff are committed to ensuring that all young people coming to the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center have access to high quality, comprehensive medical and mental health care with sensitivity and compassion and in a confidential setting, regardless of sexual expression or gender identity.
The Center provides medical and mental health services specifically designed to meet the needs of lesbian, gay, and bisexual adolescents and young adults, including:
- Primary medical care including routine health care physicals
- Comprehensive STI evaluation and treatments
- Comprehensive health education that is LGBTQ+ sensitive
- Routine HIV testing and counseling
- Routine vaccination with appropriate immunizations
- Individual and family psychotherapy around all mental health issues including coming out
- Coming out support groups for youth
Comprehensive Services for Trans Youth
We believe that transgender, gender questioning, gender non-conforming, and gender variant youth are entitled to medical and mental health care that is compassionate and sensitive to their specific needs. Our transgender programs are individually tailored to fit young people and their families. All care at the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center is comprehensive, patient-centered, and free of obstacles. All patients between the ages of 10 and 26 are welcome regardless of income or immigration status.
The team provides services from within the Center or will work with outside providers (e.g., community based therapists) to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment for transgender youth.
Primary Care services for transgender youth include:
- Physical examinations
- Reproductive health needs
- STI/STD evaluations and treatment including HIV testing, PEP, and PrEP services
- Urgent medical needs
- Puberty blocking prescriptions, to suppress the body changes that happen at puberty
- Feminizing and masculinizing hormone treatments prescriptions
- Preparation for future surgical interventions and referrals to the • Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery for surgical procedures
- Lab and clinical monitoring
Mental Health Services:
- Evaluations for gender dysphoria
- Short and long term individual counseling
- Family therapy
- Education and support for parents
- Psychiatric evaluations available
- Case management for individual patients and their families
- Support groups for youth and parents
Other services available at the Center for all our patients include optical, legal, nutritional, health education, social work, and psychological testing.